Malta has introduced a new tax programme which provides tax incentives to qualifying employment in maritime activities and in the servicing of offshore oil and gas industry. The programme allows senior employees engaged within the maritime and oil and gas industry to benefit from a flat rate of 15% tax on employment income derived in respect of work or duties carried out in Malta or in respect of any period spent outside Malta in connection with such work or duties.
Crew working on-board a vessel flying the Malta flag can become residents in Malta as “highly qualified persons” and as a Malta tax payer they are eligible to benefit from the reduced income tax rate applicable to this type of qualifying employment.
Who is concerned?
All persons meeting these criteria are eligible for tax residence in Malta:
- be employed to an eligible employment or in an eligible office;
- be entitled to remuneration of at least €65,000 (exclusive of the annual value of any fringe benefits) in terms of a contract of employment;
- reside in accommodation regarded as normal for a comparable family in Malta;
- not be domiciled in Malta;
- be in possession of a valid travel document;
- be in possession of adequate health insurance;
- does not benefit under any alternative incentives available in Malta;
- has signed a Qualifying Contract of Employment.